Yeshua is coming back! Are you ready?

Yeshua is coming back! Are you ready?
You shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall set you Free

Mega Grafx Amazon.com AStore

Saturday, April 11, 2009

On Public Speaking

At this time I'm attending college again to get my Bachelor of Fine Art in Graphic Design. On this day I am to give my first public speaking speech for my Communications class. This is my very first speech and is a difficult one especially because it is about myself. I've been practicing and going over my speech and recording. I introduce myself and I'd like to begin with the words of Groucho Marx who said, "Before I speak, I have something important to say." I look at my life and it hasn't been very exciting. I've had many setbacks in my lifetime but some of those are of my own doing. We all make failures and we learn by them and keep moving on. If we all knew exactly what to do it would be all too easy. We weren't really meant to know the unknown. I guess God made it that way so that we come to know Him and seek Him as He said it "all good things will be added unto you." I grew up in a small community just 3 miles outside of the city of Charleston, West Virginia. Early in life I had a dream to be an artist. I think it began when my grandmother gave me a pencil and piece of paper and I started doodling on it. She'd encourage me and I thought it was the greatest thing I ever did. Somehow something gets into your mind and you can't get it out. You think you can do it and you can do better as you go. It's all you want to do and it's the only thing you can do. I was told once that once it's in your heart to pursue it it's God's desire that put it there in the first place. As I mentioned earlier about the setbacks in my life. There were some things that didn't go as planned but I never gave up trying. I figured it wasn't that right time to move forward with those plans. Lots of things weren't very stable at a certain time. Things do tend to shift about but it typical of life. I remember one summer day in Nashville, Tennessee I had this strong notion to go to church and find an answer to what I was looking for. It was there I felt that God lead me to listen to the message that day that changed my life. C.S. Lewis best said it about life goals, you're never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream. The message was given by a young newly ordained pastor who was called to seminary in Atlanta. In his testimony he said these words that were relevant to my life as well. "You are a gift from God. You are priceless. Walk worthy in the vocation that you are called. The Lord will work with you in your achievement and purpose. You are here for a purpose in your role in life, to find it, and make the best of it. Look to the future and don't look back. Learn from your past. Live for the present. You have the availability and the ability to do all that you're called to do and given to you. The Lord will never leave nor forsake you. Hold it closely to your heart. Each one of us is given the gift of grace through the love of Christ who led captivity captive and gave gifts to all (Ephesians 4:1-12). This passion of my life is the life of a graphic artist. A talent that God had given me I want to give back to Him and to give to others. Graphic art can be a powerful tool to change the world so use it wisely. In my pursuit of creativity I have acquired other interest and passions in church work, ministry, and writing. When I need some balance and recreation I enjoy cycling. As for my experience in public speaking I have none. I've never spoken to an audience before. I've always been very shy and backward. I was always lost for words even though I can write them out I just could never speak well. An acquaintance said once that I should take a speech class with a moment of uncertainty I said, "Who me?" Well guess I was destined to learn wasn't I? My goal for this class is to achieve the confidence I need to carry forward into my other classes and future career in graphic design. It's the kind of confidence I need to overcome life's fears, my own personal fears, gain power, courage, and a sound mind. In 2 Timothy 1:7 it says God hasn't given us a spirit of fear but of power, love, and discipline. Zig Ziglar said this about confidence is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you. I think if they can do it so can I. Thank you for listening!

No comments: